- Founded in 1986
- Founding member of WfWP
- Mission: To protect the future generations’ right to clean environment, to raise public awareness of environmental and health issues, focusing particularly on women, through information gathering and dissemination, education and the organization of intersectoral debates.
- Focus area: Ukraine
- Level: local, national, regional
- Main themes: Ecologization, sustainable development, drinking water and sanitation, chemicals, promoting public participation in environmental policy-making encouraging greening policy and practice + Euro integration reforms in Ukraine
MAMA86 raises public awareness on environmental and health issues and empowers women in their community related to health and environment. MAMA86 has become a leader in the environmental movement in Ukraine. Since its creation, MAMA86 has been developing a large network of women’s organizations throughout Ukraine, incorporating other environmental organizations, mostly women-led, into its network. Key activities of MAMA86 include Independent surveys on WASH issues, Policy analysis, monitoring and advocacy, Awareness-raising, Practical solutions of WASH problems, Networking and capacity-building
МАМА-86 participated in 2013 in the civic evaluation of the bilateral cooperation between Ukraine and the EU on monitoring environmental progress. Indicators have been developed for the national implementation instruments, to monitor the Convention on Protection and Usage of Trans-Border Rivers and International Lakes (in particular the Protocol on Water and Health).
For the first time ever, the actual situation of equal access to water and sanitation was available in Ukraine! МАМА-86 together with the State Epidemiology Service of Ukraine and under political support of the Environment Protection Ministry conducted a pilot project to test a self-evaluation instrument on the equal rights for water and sanitation at national and local level. The instrument is now approved and МАМА-86 applies it with assistance of GWP at several locations.
МАМА-86 is part of the inter-ministry working group on implementation of the Protocol. All МАМА-86 remarks to the draft have been taken into consideration in the final document.
In 2013 MAMA-86 participated in the development of an online course together with GWP advancing theory and practice of IWRM in Ukraine and abroad. Six lectures of the GWP-Ukraine experts have been published on YouTube, and are now used as lecture material at universities and other knowledge institutions.
МАМА-86 coordinates since 2013 the implementation of the International Program on Drought Management (IPDM), which has been launched by the GWP and the World Meteorology Organization (WMO). Policies in the sphere of natural resources management (water, land and forest) under condition of drought were be analysed.
The armed conflict in eastern Ukraine resulted in nearly 1.3 million internally displaced persons. Unresolved conflict threatens water supply and proper sewerage systems, which leads to escalating health problems. MAMA-86 and UNICEF responded to the desperate need for hygiene supplies and hygiene education for the most vulnerable people living in the conflicted areas Lugansk, Kyiv and Kharkiv. The project ran from November 2014 to November 2015, main outcomes include:
- 190 teachers & kindergarten staff trained in emergency hygiene promotion (4 locations)
- 7,000 children reached via hygiene promotion, emergency WASH & health (60 schools)
- 2763 children participated the Global Handwashing Day & World Toilet Day (22 schools)
- Distribution of 5,900 hygiene education packages for children and families, 144 WASH guidebooks for teachers in 75 schools and 8,240 hygiene kits for children and families
For more information visit the MAMA-86 website: www.mama-86.org.ua